Hi Everyone !
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on my Food category .
I’ve been regularly posting pictures of my healthy plates on social media sites .If you’re anything like me and are ALWAYS hungry, then volume eating is your best friend. Volume eating allows you to increase your food intake without increasing your calories. I love incorporating lots of veggies into my diet so that I can eat a LOT of food at every meal!
See below for pictures of fruit bowls .
Fruits,Sprouts and peanuts .
Sharing a recipe today .. Are you ready ?
Paruppu Usili is a traditional South Indian dish which is prepared with lentils. It is a very healthy dish as it has lentils and is steam cooked. This goes excellent with almost any type of kuzhambu. You can try the same recipe with french beans as well..Follow this procedure and enjoy a traditional meal with your loved ones.
Cluster Beans -1/4 kg
Tur dal -1/3 cup
Bengal Gram/channa dal/kadalai paruppu -1/4 cup
Red chillies -2
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
For the seasoning
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/hing -1/4 tsp
Curry leaves –few
Wash and chop cluster beans finely. Add turmeric powder, salt and steam cook.
Soak tur dal and channa dal together for 1-2 hours. Drain the water completely and grind it (without adding water) coarsely with green chillies or red chillies and salt.
Grease idly mould and steam cook the ground dal. Once cooked, crumble the mixture with your hands.
Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add hing and curry leaves.Then add the crumbled dal, cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat, then add the cooked cluster beans (if there is water, squeeze it out completely and add to the above) and mix well.Cook for further 2-3 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as a side dish for rice.
Appreciate all feedbacks ! Please like and share it .
Millets are good for diabetic patients.
Finger millet,Foxtail millet,Ragi,Pearl millet (Use any of these)
Urad Dhal – 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 2 tsp
Salt – as required
Measure the ingredients and wash well. Soak everything together for 1-2 hour. Drain the water and grind them to a smooth, thick and fluffy batter with less water. Add salt required while grinding itself. Allow the batter to ferment overnight or 8 hours. It rises a little and not like our idly batter.(Boil water in a idly pan, pour batter in the idly plates and steam it for 8-10 minutes. )
Serve hot with spicy chutney.
Fenugreek Seeds are optional.
You can try the same recipe with Kuthiraivali,sama and varagu millets.
#DeviVenkatesan #mybloginspires #devivenkatesankitchen
Beating the heat with Buttermilk
To prepare buttermilk blend yogurt with water . Also add some spices such as cumin powder, pepper, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves are crushed and added to the mixture to enhance its taste and therapeutic benefits.
This drink helps to keep the body cool and improves digestion.
Buttermilk is an effective therapy to prevent dehydration. It is full of electrolytes and is one of the best drinks to fight against the heat and loss of water from the body.
Buttermilk contains Contains all essential macronutrients
It provides calcium. Lactic acid, the main constituent in this drink develops the immune system of the human body .
#devivenkatesan #mybloginspires #devivenkatesankitchen
Masala Paniyaram / Kuzhi Paniyaram
Onion – 1 Medium
Idli Batter – 2Cups
Green Chilies – 2
Curry Leavse – few
Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Freshly Crushed Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp + To cook paniyaram
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Split Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Grated Ginger – 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
Salt – Required
1. Finely chop onion, green chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok or pan add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add urad dal, green Chili, onion saute until onion becomes soft.
3. Add fried onion, ginger, coconut, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, crushed pepper, coriander leaves with idli batter and mix well.
4. Heat the paniyaram chatti/pan, add a few drops of oil. Pour spoonful of the batter or until 3/4 of the paniyaram mold.
5. Allow the batter to cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame, turn each paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon and cook until crisp, turn once or twice for uniform cooking if required. Repeat same for rest of batter.
Serve hot with Chutney.
#devivenkatesan #mybloginspires #devivenkatesankitchen
COCONUT MILK RICE/THENGAI SADAM
Basmati rice-2 cups(soaked for 30 min)
Coconut Milk-2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Coconut-1 cup grated
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil-1 tblspn
Ginger-1 inch piece(chopped
Cumin seeds(jeera)-1 tsp
Bay leaves(brinji ilai)-1
In a pressure cooker add oil and/or ghee and heat it now add in all the seasoning ingredients and fry for a minute.
Then add in the soaked rice,peas (You can also add sweet corn which pairs well with peas.)and fry for a minute .Add in coconut milk and 1 cup of water and bring that to boil.Season with salt and sugar.Cover and cook for 10-15 min.
- In the mean time fry the coconut in a oilless pan till golden and chop the coriander leaves finely.You can also add sweet corn which pairs well with peas.
When the rice is done just add this fried coconut,coriander leaves and ghee and mix well.
Serve hot with any Raitha.
I prepared Radish Sambar and Cauliflower Potato masala for Lunch today
This will go well with Rice. See below for sambar recipe
2 cup Sambar (Tuvar) Dal
1/4 kg Vegetables(any vegetable Drumstick,Ladiesfinger,Brinjal)
I used radish today
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
3 Red chillies
3 Green chillies
1 tsp Sambhar powder
a pinch asafodita
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Mustard
1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
4 tbsp Cooking oil
- Wash and chop vegetables.
- Boil water and cook the dal with turmeric and salt.
- Separate the cooked dal and water, and keep them aside.
- In thuvar dal water cook the vegetables..
- After the veggies are cooked, add tamarind paste.
- Now add the cooked thuvar dal and simmer for sometime
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add methi, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, asafodita, turmeric, and sambar powder and keep frying for a few minutes.
- Season the sambar with the above prepared
- Sprinkle coriander on top.
#devivenkatesan #devivenkatesankitchen #mybloginspires