What Motherhood has taught me ?
The Journey from Womanhood to Motherhood changes you . Some of the changes are sudden and some happen so gradually that you barely recognize them.It’s hard to believe that I’ve been a parent for almost 10 years now, and I know I still have a lot of learning left to do . Some days are pretty smooth sailing , other days are a total and complete three-ring circus . I love my parental role , but motherhood is one of the hardest jobs I have experienced.
Today I want to tell you what motherhood has taught me . These things might not work for you . But these are the truths that I’ve accepted . Motherhood is the ultimate test of patience , perseverance , and selflessness , all of which I fall short of daily .
Below are the 18 things that motherhood has taught me.
1.Gained more Respect for my Parents : I have gained more respect for my parents . It’s not easy to raise children . It is the most difficult job . My Mother taught me all that I should posses to become a good human . I’ve gained a whole new level of understanding and love for her.
2. Fast Lunch : I have learnt to have a cup of coffee in few seconds. I’m a slow eater who used to taste food spoon by spoon . I used to enjoy eating . After my daughter was born I’ve learned to eat fast in few seconds.
3. No plans will work out : Nothing is ever going to go the way you planned it or imagined it . Just let it happen.
4 . Family Dinner : Motherhood taught me the importance of family dinners and holiday traditions .
5 . The best things in life are free : I always thought the defining moments were all big ones like buying a house,landing a good job and so on . Motherhood has taught me that the most joy can be found in everyday moment.. Little things brings big joy . According to me my daughter’s smile,laughter,cuddle,a kiss , a sound night sleep , enjoying a cup of coffee in perfect temperature , a lazy days shower ,and lot more are the best things in life and they are free .
6 .To Appreciate ‘Me-Time’ : Some days you will want to be shower in peace, pee in peace and you will want to be able to sleep uninterrupted . You will need a break . Take care of you so you can take care of kids .
7 . Mess is unavoidable . Roll with it : I hate disorder , it stresses me out . But as a Mom , living in chaos is the norm . Mess always surrounds me and I’ve learned to accept that there will always be some mess somewhere calling out for my attention.
8 . Time Flies : My mother used to tell me I grew up in a blink . I’ve learned that my parents truly weren’t kidding,your children are only children for such a short time,so enjoy every second .
9. Responsibility : As a mother you are more responsible to raise good humans . The world is in the hands of next generation . I’ve learnt to teach them good habits and disciplines .
10. Who I really am : Motherhood has taught me , my real strengths and weaknesses . It showed me so many things I could do for my kids beyond limits . And the truth is I was not like that before . It changed me . Like others , I did some parenting mistakes too and I am learning from my mistakes to become a good Mother.
11.Flexibility and Patience are essential : Children are such unpredictable little things,they will throw a wrench into the best laid plans .Not to mention illness,accidents,tantrums and hours spent hunting for lost items. I’ve always had somewhat of a rigid personality,when things don’t go as planned,I become uneasy (just ask my husband )I have learned to re-plan and adjust our priorities now .Motherhood has trained me to take on a more flexible attitude and developed patience in me .
12. Mothers love is unique : Motherhood has taught me how powerful a mothers love for her children can be .
13. Busy has a whole new meaning : I’m super busy now . Getting quick shower or cooking my favorite dish while my baby plays in her room or going to super market alone class as ‘me time’ .
14. Let your children go. Let them climb on their own and let them fall. Pick them up and kiss them when they fall and teach them to shake it off. Don’t hover, don’t overdo it. Let them fail and recover gracefully. This is one of the greatest gifts you can give them. Falling will teach them to fly .
15. There is no such thing as a perfect parent . Learning parenting each and every day .
16. Sleep is a beautiful thing : I realize , Wasted lots of nights on social media but now .. Sleep, I love you and I miss you . Hope all of will agree this point for sure 🙂
17.Going to the bathroom alone is a privilege, not a right. To all my girlfriends without children- it’s weird, I know. Just enjoy the silence, and privacy, while you can.
18. Never stop taking pictures : Motherhood has taught me Pictures are memories captured and with how fast your kids grow you are going to want to have plenty of memories to look back on , and maybe embarrass them with,later on . 🙂
We all learn hundreds of new things every day from motherhood. The lessons can be fun , harsh and crazy .
What have you learnt since becoming a Mother ?
Happy Parenting !
Love Always , Devi